“SN 46.55 Sangaravo Sutta: The Hindrances”
Imagine a bowl of water and a person tries to see the reflection of their face. They would be hindered from doing so if the bowl is:
- mixed with coloured dies. This is like the hindrance of sense-desire.
- boiling. This is like being overwhelmed with ill-will and aversion.
- covered with moss and water plants. This is like sloth and torpor.
- ruffled by wind. This is like ‘worry and flurry’.
- muddied and left in a dark place. This is like doubt and wavering.